Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Chase Terrace Saint John's Church
Burntwood Family History Group
Chase Terrace Saint John's Church
Saint John's Community Church is situated on High Street, Chase Terrace, Burntwood, Staffordshire, WS7 1LR.

In the 19th century the parishioners of Chase Terrace who wished to attend church had to attend Saint Anne’s Church in Chasetown. In the latter part of the century, Chase Terrace residents decide they wanted their own church.

Following numerous meetings, it was agreed that Chase Terrace should have its own church. It began as the mission church of Saint John within the Parish of Chasetown, Saint Anne. On the 4th August 1884, the foundation stone of Saint John was laid.

It took two years to build the church which was made of brick and tile with bath stone dressing and was completed in 1886. It was known as “The Church on the Hill".

Chase Terrace church was described in Staffordshire Towns and Villages 1899 as ……..

‘The pretty little church of Saint John's, Chase Terrace, which serves as a Mission Church to Chasetown, is situate in a district composed of a large mining population estimated at three thousand persons. Unfortunately the inhabitants are many of them still suffering from the effects of the strike which occurred a few years ago, and also on account of the recent stagnation in trade. The church, however, does not seem to have suffered so greatly as might have been expected, as we understand that, thanks to the earnest co-operation of the churchwardens, Mr. J. J. COOPER and Mr. Charles WRIGHT, with the priest in charge, the Rev. W. H. HOPKINS, the heavy debt upon a new two-manual organ, which was some time ago placed in the church, has been cleared off, and a new heating apparatus provided. The Sunday school children and members of the surpliced choir have also been provided with new hymn books and Psalters, and funds have also been provided for the purchase of new surplices and cassocks. This work has been successfully carried out since the appointment of the present priest in charge, whose earnest efforts in connection with the work of the church have been keenly appreciated. There is, moreover, plenty of life about the church. There are, in addition to the Sunday services, frequent services during the week; celebrations of the Holy Communion on Holy days and Thursdays, and classes are also held on three evenings during the week. There is an excellent Sunday school, and all the services are well attended.’

In February 2011, several documents were donated to Burntwood Family History Group by Arline VOLLAM from Suffolk, whose family had connections with Chase Terrace. The documents included family photographs, two old family bibles, and an old prayer book. The bibles, prayer book and other documents connected with Saint John’s Church contained entries with surnames of HARRISON, MASON, SUTTON and WRIGHT. These documents can be seen on the HARRISON, MASON, SUTTON and WRIGHT page.

Arline also donated other documents associated with Saint John’s Church and they are reproduced below. All the original photographs and documents are deposited in the Burntwood Family History Library. They can be viewed at our meetings by prior arrangement with our librarian Geoff Colverson (01543 480727) If you want a larger copy of an image, or you have any information about any of the documents or Saint John's Church, please let us know at enquiries@bfhg.org.uk
Clergy House Letter
Clergy House Letter 1890
Clergy House Letter 1890 - reverse
Easter 1886 - page 1
Easter 1886 - page 2
Easter 1886 - page 3
Easter 1886 - page 4
Coloured Scripture Pictures
Coloured Scripture Pictures reverse
Christmas and Epiphany Carols
Christmas and Epiphanty Carols - reverse
Good Friday
Good Friday - reverse
Chase Terrace Information            HARRISON, MASON, SUTTON and WRIGHT            Home